Wednesday, December 1

DIWhy?

Get it? DIY? DIWhy? Aren't I clever? (And for those of you not in the 'know,' DIY means Do-It-Yourself)

Sooo, I feel like I am going to be a big, fat fail when it comes to DIY. I have all these grand plans, but when it comes to execution, I fall flat.

I'm a craft-a-phobe. I like to think I have artistic skills, but I walk in to a craft store, and immediately get overwhelmed and unsure of what I want and/or need. I even make sure to prepare myself with a list, and go into store with a notepad and pen to makes notes on what I think I need. And I still freeze! Am I the only one? I think I could literally browse for hours and still not find what I'm looking for. Luckily, this hasn't happened yet, but hey, we're still 8 months away from the big day!

So, case-in-point: Last weekend, I hit up Michaels to look for supplies to craft up our Save the Dates. We ordered magnets from Vistaprint and had to figure out a way to package them. So, after searching for some online inspiration, I decided to do something with cardstock with our wedding website on it, decorated with some swirly stamp, and then put in an envelope with a cute envelope liner. So, supplies needed were:

- cardstock
- double-sided tape (or something to stick the magnets with)
- stamp
- ink
- envelopes
- paper to line envelopes with...

Pretty easy, right? Nope, not for this girl. I went in, debated for a while, picked up random things to carry around the store with me that I didn't even need, get totally distracted by other things. It was brutal. They totally didn't have what I was looking for, and what they did have, I was too cheap to pay for and couldn't make a decision on it. Boo. Then, as I was leaving, I ended up grabbing some random stuff from the dollar bin thinking I could make it work. I think I'm hopeless!

So, my big plan for this wedding was to DIY as much as possible to save money and to get personal touches in as much of the wedding as possible. I just don't want to take this all on and then mess it up - you know what I mean? I want to do Save the Dates (which are currently in progress), invitations, cloth napkins (oh yes!), other paper goods (signage, etc.), and some decor. I know I can do this!

I think my next step is having someone come supply shopping with me to get what I need and be that deciding factor. I really just need to focus on what I need and I know that, with the specific vision of what I want to do in mind, I can definitely work it out.

What do you think? Is DIY as scary as I think it is?

4 comments:

  1. :-) I'm right there with you! It's gets better though, I swear!

    Also, do you have a Hobby Lobby where you live? I've found it's less daunting than Michaels, because the crafts are inter-spersed with regular home decor (whereas basically everything in Michaels is just supplies...which is way more scary). Just a thought.

    Can't wait to see how your STDs come out! I just sent mine out yesterday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big DIY-er. I actually end up re-reading the instructions and looking up a million things about what I'm doing before I actually try it, lol. My fiance makes fun of me because I'll sit there and look at the supplies I bought and then jump back on the computer before I start JUST to make sure I looked up all the instructions for it.

    I hope you post your Save the Dates, I can't wait to see how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely find DIY-ing daunting but that's because I live in NYC and its such a pain to run out and grab supplies. I think as long as you have a clear plan and get good instructions, you are more than capable of making something amazing!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the votes of confidence! I will definitely show you what I end up doing. You're right... If I make a list and try to be as organized as possible, they will be okay.

    ReplyDelete